The eighth Grade Band playing for a pep session prior to the Covid-19 virus.
Our band program has taken several measures to maintain a healthy and safe approach to learning band instruments in this new world. The steps our band is taking to mitigate the spread of the Covid-19 virus:
- Students all have masks that are used in the classroom only. These are used to prevent spray coming out of the corners of the mouth.
- Students all have bell covers to prevent the projection of aerosol through the instrument. The material is a double layered Lycra with an elastic band sewn into the outer edge to provide a good seal.
- Brass players are given a shop towel for water disposal from their instrument. These towels are collected weekly and washed with a detergent concentrate and hot water.
- Stands are sprayed with a disinfectant after every class to kill any virus left behind by touching the stand.
- French Horns, Baritones, Tubas, Bass Clarinets and Bari Saxophones are no longer shared. Each student has their own instrument
- Hygiene is highly encouraged.
- Students are spread out six feet apart from each other in all directions.
The Battle Ground Middle School band programs offer standard band, as well as Jazz Band opportunities. All three grades offer band classes and all bands have celebrated awards. Mr. Hopkins, Band Director, is a Golden Apple Award Winning Teacher.
The Battle Ground Middle School Bands have a fully instrumented Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Grade bands separated into nine classes. We have attended the ISSMA state concert band competition every year since 2002 and have recieved Gold Ratings with our concert bands every year. It is important to note our Eighth Grade band has received a Gold in Group one every year since 2008 and several of these bands have received the coveted "With Distinction" award as well.
We also sponsor a Seventh Grade Jazz Lab Ensemble and an Eighth Grade Jazz Ensemble. Our Jazz Ensembles have received many Gold awards as well as receiving With Distinction in a few cases.
We also encourage an enormous participation in the local Solo and Ensemble Contest where we have a success rate nearing 98% every year.